Loving this smooth and smoky pinto bean soup, a nice alternative to black bean and the color is so pretty. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy black bean but I do eat it quite often, so a little change is always nice. I served the soup with basmati rice to make it more of a meal along with toasted pumpkin seeds for a bit of texture and fresh herbs for a nice finish. Home made sea salted corn chips never hurts!
Notes: Once the beans are cooked this dish comes together fast. Alternatively, you can use canned beans rinsed then use 3 3/4 cups of veggie broth excluding the bean broth.
Dry beans usually come in 1 pound bags. I cook it all and save the rest for other uses.
I used basmati rice but brown rice would be great, just be sure to add good pinch of sea salt while the rice cooks.
- 2 cups fresh cooked pinto beans – reserve the cooking liquid
- One sweet white onion chopped
- One poblano pepper chopped
- Large pinch sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp minced fresh thyme or 1 tbsp dry thyme
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cups reserved bean liquid
- 1 ¾ cup veggie broth
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- Cooked rice of your choosing
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Fresh cilantro or parsley or both for garnish
- Soak the beans overnight for 12 hours. Rinse beans 3 imes. Add to large pot with water to cover over beans about 3 inches. Bring to a boil then simmer covered 45 minutes allowing a little steam to escape. After 45 minutes add 1 tbsp sea salt and continue to cook 15 more minutes. Drain and reserve 1 ¾ cup cooking liquid
- Add oil to a medium pot followed by the onion and poblano pepper and good pinch of sea salt and the thyme. Saute on medium heat for 7 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, cumin, cayenne and sauté one minute. Then add the beans, bean broth and veggie broth and stir. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth and continue to cook 5 more minutes on simmer, add the lime juice and taste for seasoning adding more salt if needed, I used ½ tsp more salt.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice, seeds, cilantro and parsley.